Data Storytelling Masterclass
Are you struggling to convert your data findings into a data story when you meet with the decision-makers in your organisation, or do you have difficulty to consolidate various data sources into a single, meaningful design dashboards or presentations? Then this course is for you!
At Moyo Data Academy, we regard ourselves as astute data people. Our facilitators are experts in their respective disciplines. Apart from being exceptional trainers, they have vast experience in their respective fields of expertise. Our extensive knowledge of the intricate layers of the data world enables us to impart real understanding of how the entire data process works, before delving into the detailed functionalities of a specific programme or system. This holistic approach to data training has elevated us to be a leading training facility.
Data storytelling involves a story that explains your data insights and propel people to act based on data informed decision-making. Stories about your insights that evoke emotion is what drives people to act and make better informed decisions.
Any data analysis is only as good as what the narrative describing the insight is. Therefore, data needs a translator. Data can not speak for itself; it therefore needs a voice. You can use visuals and narrative to communicate easier and more effective. During this course you will learn how to use Data Storytelling through a practical approach that will enable you.
This course is ideal for any professional who needs to communicate and have conversations about data – in presentations, dashboards and daily interactions. You can make an impact, keep attention and engage your audience on your insights. This is not an analytical or technical course, but a practical capability required for today’s data informed living.
At the end of this course, you should be able to:
- Understand why we need a different approach in communicating data
- Understand how story telling and design thinking can help you
- Develop skills to create impactful presentations and dashboards that engage your audience
- Learn how to construct a data story – A recipe for putting all the elements together
Topics covered during the course include:
- Why we need a different approach in communicating data?
- How can we become effective data communicators?
- Know your audience / users
- Designing for decision making and decision makers
- Introduction to storytelling and design thinking
- Structure of a story
- Focus attention of audience/users
- Design principles for non-designers
- How to choose the best charts and visuals
- Choosing effective visuals
- Declutter your data and content
- Constructing a data story
- Tailoring your visuals based on design principles – A recipe for putting all the elements together
- Practical approach and examples are applied during the session. Exercises on your environment and reports
What is Included?:
The course will include digital slide-decks, checklists and cheat sheets to use as practical reminders of the concepts on each topic.
*Corporate Groups can divide the 8 hours over an agreed period
Microsoft Teams or Zoom